The Adventures of a Twenty-Something in a city called Manila.

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

David's Teahouse - My Chinese Comfort Food

It has been raining for days now. Manila has been hit by two storms in two consecutive weeks and the sky has been nothing but gray. So is this a weekly thing na?

Anyways, I've been crazing for some comfort food lately and I just can't put my finger on what it is. Is it Tinola? or Nilaga? Anything na may mainit na sabaw that will warm my heart (and stomach) and give me comfort to get through all of this sounds a very good idea.

On my way home, I saw a newly opened branch of David's Teahouse. I remember the time I ate at one about 3 years ago so I decided to give it a shot.

Chinese food to some maybe a far cry for a comfort food. Some find it too oily, some too salty. Well I think its juusstt riiight. . . Memories of gastronomically excellent dimsum flashed back so I told myself that that should do the trick.

So I setup an early dinner date with a friend to have my long awaited mainit na sabaw (in the form of Wanton noodles)


It had 4 dimsums on it and a stalk of Chinese Pechay (I think).


I also tried their Lemon Iced Tea which to me is better than the average iced teas found in other restos.

Then love came when the Dimsum Platter was served. Finally, been waiting to eat a decent dimsum for quite some time. Yuuuuummmmmeyyy!


I most especially liked the Hakaw (shrimp) among the siomai, four seasons, spring roll, shark's fin and the meatballs pictured below.


And of course, what's Chinese Food without a good Chinese Fried Rice. I ordered their Yang Chow Fried Rice. It had shrimps on it and pieces of asado meat, and vegetables like peas, carrots, and other good stuff. We also ordered chicken feet (which I don't eat) and radish cake with hoisin sauce. 



After (or before/during) eating, you can enjoy their complementary hot tea that they serve right after you arrive. A fitting way to mark the end of my appetizing experience with all the oil intake. 


I left the restaurant 20 pounds heavier and feeling more than stomach satisfied. It felt a little part of my soul was fed as well. A real comfort food! 

A bill of P800 for two is not bad at all. I have another invite to eat at David's tomorrow. And guess what?

I'm going.




1 comment: